About Bell Metal
What is Bell Metal (Kanh/Kansa)
Bell Metal is a form of Bronze. Bell meatal ore is a sulfide of tin, copper and iron called stannite. Low proportion of Zinc and Lead is also used to make this product.
It contains 75% copper,20% tin and 5% of Iron,Aluminium Lead and Zinc.
Bell Metal has been used since the period of Samhita Kala.
According to the descriptions given in Ayurveda Prakasha, Bell Metal is used for therapeutic applications.
It gives a sharp sound (Teekshna Shabdam), soft (Mridu), smooth to touch (Snigdha), slightly grayish (Eshat Shyamalam), clear from impurities (Shubhram/Nirmalam) and
turning red on heating (Dahe Raktam).
Benefits of Bell Metal
1) The copper in Bell metal makes the items germicidal depending upon the type and concentration of pathogens and the medium they are in, copper kills these micro organisms within a few minutes to hours of contact.
2) The potential efficacy of copper alloy based components improves indoor air quality.
3) It is suitable for daily use because it is wear and tear resistant, bright, scratch and wrinkle resistant for decades.
4) It is heat resistant so you can serve hot and yummy food without a worry.
5) It is equally valuable even after damage as almost 90% of all bell metal alloys are recycled.